POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ODBC : Re: ODBC Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ODBC
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Dec 2007 11:42:35
Message: <476160fb@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:

>> Maybe I'll just use M$ Access. [Obviously that means I can only use
>> computers which have M$ Access.]
>>

> No, you just need the access ODBC driver (which comes with the standad MDAC
> package) You'll need a copy of access to create the database, you don't to
> access the file over ODBC (or OleDB).
> Not sure about the licencing implications, but I'm guessing you aren't too
> concerned about that either.

Hmm, interesting.

So you're only paying for the GUI frontend, but the database engine? (If
indeed it warrents the term "engine"...)

> Other option you can try is to download SQL Server Express. It's limited in
> size of DBs it can handle, but is fine for testing.
> If you download the management studio pack as well, you get a nice GUI
> frontend for it. Otherwise you'll have to access it through command line

Or, alternatively, you can apparently download the full version of
Oracle for free - provided you promise to never ever use it "for real",
only "for test purposes". Apparently. And I already know how to work
Oracle...

But yes, Access would probably be much simpler just for test purposes.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/